Update: I’ve created a new post with a New Year’s Eve pictionary word list. Check it out here!
Happy New Year’s, everyone! It’s been a wonderful Christmas break, and I hope you’ve all enjoyed your family and friends with parties, games, and food. For New Year’s Eve, every year my family throws a huge New Year’s party with lots of family friends. It’s great; we play games with prizes, chat, eat, have a big confetti fight at the countdown, and end the night with a tasty, warm breakfast.
If you’re planning or attending a New Year’s party this year and have come here looking for some game ideas, you’ve come to the right place! First, I know pictionary and charades are big party games (and for good reason; they’re a blast). I’ve got lots of word lists for these games if you need them! The pictionary and charades posts have printable word lists at the bottom, or you can go to my online word generator. If you want to use the word generator for a game that’s not listed (or even one that is), check out the lists under the Any Game option on the Game drop-down.
Second, if you’re maybe looking for a new game, my blog has tons! Feel free to browse by game type (in the right sidebar). You can also visit the home page to see my most recent posts and browse backwards from there. Also, below I’ve listed some of my favorite party games for different age groups. Just click each game’s link to learn how to play. And happy New Year’s, all!
Games for teens to adults
- Four on the couch — A strategic memory game for big groups
- In the manner of the adverb — A fun twist on charades
- Spoons — A fast-paced card game
- Corporation — A fun guessing/memory game, also good for getting to know each other
- Winks 2 — A high physical contact (basically wrestling) game
- What if? — A funny and creative answer-silly-questions-and-read-them-aloud game
Games for kids
- The candy bar game — Candy’s involved. Need I say more? 🙂
- Sock — A rougher indoor game, but not too rough
- Celebrities — A fun mix between charades and catchphrase
- Newspaper — An easy fast-paced game that can be easily adapted to be a get-to-know-you game (also good for teens or adults)
Games for anyone
- Three deep — One of the most hilarious big group games I’ve played!
- Clothespins — You could easily put a New Year’s twist on this game; just make the forbidden words “New Year’s” or “resolution” or something
- Signs — A quiet game, but it can get really fun
- One hundred — A very easy to learn, fast-paced game
- Paper telephone — A hilarious game that encourages creativity. Good if you like drawing (or even if you don’t).
- Telephone charades — A mix between silent acting and the game telephone